The 2017 Great River Race will take place on the tidal River Thames on the 9th of September and once again Northern Exposure Rescue has been asked to recruit and manage a fleet of 35 safety boats.
The fleet will consist of volunteers who are already members of Northern Exposure Rescue, but the event is so large we ask for additional volunteers and these are drawn from Sea Scout groups, other rescue organisations and individuals.
It is a spectacular event and the competitors will row in traditional fixed seat rowing boats carrying at least one passenger from East London on the Isle of Dogs, 22 miles upriver to Ham House near Richmond Upon Thames.
We are very lucky that we often have far more volunteers keen to take part in the safety fleet so we run an application type system for volunteers.
Once we’ve received your application we’ll contact you to confirm your place but please bear in mind that it will take some time to review all the applications and get back to you. Members of Northern Exposure Rescue have priority when applying to take part in this event.
In return the Great River Race organisers will;
· reimburse volunteer safety boat skippers for their tow vehicle fuel transporting boats to and from the event,
· reimburse volunteer safety boat skippers for the fuel used by their boat whilst at the event,
· provide free camping at Petersham and Ham Sea Scout Base for Friday and Saturday night,
· provide free mooring at Petersham Ait on Friday and Saturday night,
· provide bacon rolls on Saturday morning at Masthouse Terrace Pier,
· and invite you to a volunteers party in October
If you’d like to apply to volunteer to take part in the volunteer safety fleet for the 2017 Great River Race please complete the sign up form below.